Sunday, November 28, 2010

Almost the end of the semester...

It's hard to believe there are only two weeks of class left, then finals, then heading back home to AZ for Christmas break!! But it will be a much needed break, that's for sure. And it's much warmer in Arizona than here. Today there was finally a good snow of a few inches that stuck, but back home it's raining. Go figure!

This past week of Thanksgiving break has been a nice, relaxing, almost lazy week with classes and only on Monday, then just studying a bit during the week. I didn't study as much as I should have though, because I spent a lot of time with family here in Provo, and procrastinated and just got lazy. But I did make it to the Anatomy Lab on Saturday for a few good hours of studying on the cadavers and models before our Lab final tomorrow! Plus I will have about 4 hours of study tomorrow morning before we take the final, so that will be greatly appreciated.

Anatomy is such a fascinating class! I love learning about the human body. Many of my friends wonder how I can handle seeing and handling cadavers and various body parts for studying, but it doesn't bother me. It is so amazing that these people and their families have been willing to donate their bodies for thousands of students to learn from. It doesn't bother me, because Heavenly Father created our bodies, in His image. So in effect we are studying how His body is made as well. Isn't it amazing that we are modeled after Gods? There is so much to learn about the parts and functions of the body, and I'm only just beginning. But what I have already learned is so fascinating, and it amazes me how everything works together to make our body move, think, digest, feel, and everything else it does. I'll admit, at first it was rather strange to have the bodies there in front of us, and the TA's expecting us to touch and move them, but I got over it really fast. I was actually the first person in my class to touch a cadaver, to help my TA flip him over to see the muscles on his back. SO fascinating!! Did you know there are muscles inside the walls of many organs, all over the sides of your eyes, and all over your hip bone, inside and out? If you think about it, every direction you can move is because there is a muscle pulling your limb in that direction. Now think about your hands. The palms and backs of your hands, as well as your wrist and all up your forearm, are all muscles to make your fingers move. At least 30 muscles in your arms and hands move your hands and fingers. And your hands also have the most nerve innervation, giving your fingers more sensation than any other part of your body. Now tell me that's not amazing!

Anyway, now that I have gone on a tangent about Anatomy and how incredible it is.... :)

The lesson I felt like giving to my Visiting Teaching sister today was probably meant for me. It was from Elder Bednar's talk in Conference, "Receive the Holy Ghost." He speaks about the "importance of striving in our daily lives to actually receive the Holy Ghost." He says we shouldn't just expect the Holy Ghost to be with us because we had hands laid on our heads and were given the Gift of the Holy Ghost. We have to "desire, to seek, to work, and to so live that we indeed 'receive the Holy Ghost' and its attendant spiritual gifts."  When you're given a gift you don't let it just sit on your table and never touch it. You use it. The Spirit is the same way. We can't go through our lives not utilizing this marvelous gift given to us by our Heavenly Father. The Holy Ghost wants to be with us, he wants to help us, if we have open hearts and minds to let him in. One of my favorite handouts I ever got in Young Women was a picture of Christ embracing and comforting a young woman, with the scripture John 14:18, "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you." Christ knew how much His disciples would miss Him, so he gave them the Holy Ghost to comfort them and be with them. How wonderful a gift that was. In Elder Bednar's talk he gives a quote from after Joseph Smith's martyrdom, when he appeared to Brigham Young: "Tell the people to be humble and faithful and [be] sure to keep the Spirit of the Lord and it will lead them right. Be careful and not turn away the small still voice; it will teach [you what] to do and where to go; it will yield the fruits of the kingdom. Tell the brethren to keep their hearts open to conviction so that when the Holy Ghost comes to them, their hearts will be ready to receive it." We need to not only be seeking for the Holy Ghost, but also have an open heart to receive him. That's probably why I needed this lesson, to remind me to listen and feel for the Spirit, not just expect him to be there. I need to invite his companionship. Companionship....what an interesting word, that just hit me. A companionship is not a one-way, "I'm in charge" kind of relationship. It requires working together, both asking and listening to each other's advice and counsel. With the Holy Ghost as my companion, I can ask him for guidance, help, and comfort, and he will answer me and give me what I need, if I listen and accept it. I can't tell him what I want and expect him to just give it to me, I need to ask for what I need, and realize that whatever answers I get, whatever I'm guided to do, is what's best for me in the long run, and may be blessing others as well. I'm so grateful for the companionship of the Holy Ghost, and strive to be worthy and open to his guidance and peace.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Aileen. I didn't get visited this month and this was just the lesson I needed.

    ReplyDelete