Friday, July 1, 2011

Still going...

So basically this summer has been crazier than I had anticipated. I work almost full-time at Chick-fil-A, where I was recently promoted to Supervisor. My new position obviously comes with added responsibilities, and added stresses. But I love it! And I am so grateful to know that I can always work here, so I will never need to job hunt again. My boss has literally begged me to stay here and go to ASU instead of going back to BYU, saying that if I did she would make me a full manager. But there are a few good reasons why I won't do that. First, the atmosphere at BYU is infinitely better than at any other college, with students with much higher standards and better lifestyles. Second, I have a scholarship to BYU, and can't afford to go anywhere else (student loans are not an option, I don't want to go into debt). Third, I have a great job at BYU in the Theater, making props for the shows. Fourth, and probably the most important reason, my very best friend lives in Utah. I couldn't possibly stay here and not see Trevor for that long, it would be way too hard, for both of us.

Besides work, I'm currently taking a Statistics class at Chandler-Gilbert Community College, just half a mile away from my house. My dad works for the Maricopa County Community College district, so I get free tuition. So why don't I just go there for free, you may ask? My first day on that campus explains why. I couldn't breathe because of the cigarette smoke, I couldn't look anywhere because the girls barely wear anything (yes, it's hot, but wearing less clothing actually makes more skin exposed to the sun, therefore making you hotter-duh!), and I had to force myself to not listen to anything because of the terrible language. There is not as much respect for the teachers, and people don't take their education as seriously. That is why I go to BYU.

The class isn't that hard, it's just kind of confusing because much of it feels like the same kind of problem over and over again, just slightly different variables changing which formula you use. It gets really frustrating when I'm taking a quiz or test, looking over my notes, and everything looks the same, so I don't know which formula or test or method to use to solve the problem. And it's also difficult because the term is only 5 weeks long, so the whole semester-long class is crunched into only 5 weeks. That means every day is equal to about a week of class, so I can't miss a day of class lecture, and I have to keep up on homework and quizzes and tests, which are all online. My days are long, with class from 9:20am to 11:30, then I go straight to work till 7:30 or 8, then home to do homework, then repeat the next day. It's long, but I'm getting this class out of the way, so I don't have to worry about it at BYU, and I'm earning lots of good money for my tuition and rent for the upcoming semesters. I'm counting my blessings, and there are so many.

My class ends next week on the 7th, when my summer break will really begin. But until then I'm doing homework every available minute and trying to keep my A in the class. And just counting down the days until I go back to Provo, and back to Trevor... :-)

2 comments:

  1. I hope you like comments, because I like to encourage people on their blogging by posting comments. So, now since I found your blog, there will be comments.

    Your days sound long and tiring. At least your class will be over soon and you can take it a little easier, just in time for your birthday.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!! Fantastic, I love comments! Now I'll have to post more often, so you can comment more. :-)

    Oh, and I miss you, by the way!

    ReplyDelete